Thursday, May 31, 2012

Evolution of a Character

Dear lord he has a long neck... Okay, this is Mike a character I created back in high school and over that time Mike's appearance has changed a little here and there. But that's not what I'm going to get into. Instead of talking about who he is I'm going to talk about the evolution of how I use this character.

You see, Mike was created out of the idea of doing a newspaper style comic strip. He has also been the subject of a story that I had to write in my English course in college (which I hope to find the papers so I can burn them someday) and recently I used him to help self-promote myself as a possible children book illustrator. So nifty, Mike reappears a lot so why does that matter? A lot, actually. 

Mike develops over time not out of characterization or plot development but through situations where I need something explained. It could be a story that needs a character or a mailer piece that needs a small kid. So Mike changes for the situations I need him for. 

So Mike changes like a piece of silly-putty. The silly-putty can change shape but it is still composed of the same material as it first started as. You have a kid dressed as a knight carrying a lance that is also a fishing pole and he's also named Mike. His appearance may change but he's the same thing. 

So why am I going over this? Well, Mike popped up again. I want to do a project for this blog and it seems Mike and his steady steed the pig are going to be used for it. The project demands certain details so once again Mike is changing to meet that challenge. I really do not know where this may go but it feels right to let Mike ride again.

Mike & Steady Steed
Hopefully coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment